The Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has negatively affected a wide range of fields in the world, including the gaming sector. Although the real-world sports have turned to video games for online tournaments, some e-sports events have been canceled due to the impacts of the COVID-19. Two of these unlucky e-sports events are the Fortnite World Cup and Dota 2’s The International.

Last year, the Fortnite World Cup attracted over 2.3 million viewers to make it become the most-watched competitive gaming seven of all time to take place in 2020. Meanwhile, other physical e-sports event of the Fortnite will take place in the online format; the World Cup will not be organized as usual due to the limitations of cross-region online competition.

Epic Games, the online video game developer, said on the Fortnite Competitive Twitter account that the organizer had yet to know when the tournament is returned to a large, global, and in-person event. It expressed the hopefulness to put on some form of Fortnite World Cup in 2021.

Meanwhile, competitive matches with cash prizes Cash Cups continue taking place as usual. The Fortnite Champion Series will albeit with some iterations on formats to improve the experiences of players.

Besides, the official broadcasts will return to provide players with updates on competitive Fortnite at 18:00 every Saturday.  

Another major e-sports event that has been canceled is Dota 2’s The International. It is famous for the largest top prize players can gain from e-sports. The Dota team also explained that it had yet to be confident in confirming the new dates at this time due to the highly volatile landscape for local gathering restrictions.

However, the event will likely be organized in 2021, they said.

Meanwhile, the Dota 2 Pro Circuit will continue this autumn with some restructuring to make things work.